7.31.2008

I don't get it.

"The Dark Knight" made me cry, and kind of hate... everybody.

Good movie?

(Or is this more entertaining?)

Sorry for sounding self-righteous(?), but the gratuitous violence n this film -- and the seemingly indifferent response to it by the majority of its audience -- really got to me. I can see the superficial intent of making this a film about why "violence is bad", but the obvious glorification of hyperviolence, the overwhelming number of "throw-away" casualties featured, and the fact that this was a film made and distributed by a massive commercial studio for PROFIT, not principle, overrules any moralistic leanings the director might have dared to suggest. It also really irks me that the most vile, reprehensible character in the film will be the Halloween costume of choice for thousands of young boys this fall, because, you know. Cool make-up. Right?

But I'll shut up before I spoil all the fun, I guess. Violence isn't real if we don't want it to be! :)

No comments: